Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Day in The Life...

Life in Sihanoukville is so different, and the things I so often took for granted in the states have become completely redefined here. However, at the same time, I am encountering new and wonderful ways of doing things. Here is usually how my day goes:

1) Wake up the sun blaring in our room. Normally, this wouldn't bother me so much, but when you don't have AC, it can get quite toasty before 7AM. In the week I have been here, I have definitely gotten used to it. I am usually amused by roommate (from Singapore) though. While I am sweaty, she is sniffly and blowing her nose. It's all about what you are used to and grow up with.

2)After waking up, I usually have to make a decision between showering, eating breakfast, or traipsing down to the lobby to use the Internet. Since my morning is evening in the States, it's a good time to talk to friends and family. I sometimes can accomplish all three if I wake up early enough, but it's not as simple as waking up, getting ready, and being connected to the world. It takes a little bit more effort here. As far as showering goes, its kind of a necessity due to the aforementioned night sweating, but most days I figure, "What's the Point?" I will just get all sweaty and gross again in a couple of hours. This argument usually continues for a good five or so minutes in my head. The outcomes vary.

3) Walking to work: I am thankful that pretty much everywhere in Sihanoukville is in within walking distance from my dorm. The school is literally at the bottom of the hill no more than 20 or 30 yards away. The real fun starts when it's time to go back up the hill, though.

4) Working at Life International School: This past week has been our "in-service" week, so I have been toiling away trying to get my classroom ready for the year. Stay tuned for another post with a more in-depth look into my classroom....

5) Lunch Break: This concept is completely foreign to me. At the school I taught at in America, I got a total of 20 minutes to take my class to lunch, make sure all my babies got their food, spend 5-10 minutes cooking my own food in the microwave, and eating. Here, lunchtime is much, much more valued, and I love it. Pretty much the whole country shuts down from 11:30 to 1:30. It's so relaxing and wonderful to have such an extended lunch break, and it totally fits with the laid back vibe I have gotten from Cambodia thus far. Aside from climbing the hill and 800 stairs back to my dorm room, my lunch break is absolutely glorious.

6) Afternoons: As of now, I am not quite sure what my afternoons will look like. Kindergarten students only come to school in the mornings, so I have the afternoons free for lesson planning, cleaning, or helping out in the office. Since we have no principal at our school, I am hoping to spend a lot of time in the office helping out and learning how the school operates. The school day goes until 4 or 5 o'clock, so afternoons will be busy, busy. But since we have such a luxurious lunch break, I'm OK with that.

7) Evenings: After a long day of work, and climbing the hill/stairs for the 2nd or 3rd time (depending on what transpired that day), it's time for another shower. We have been alternating between going out to dinner and cooking in our room, and both are quite nice. After dinner, the choices range from going to bed early (which happens a lot since the sun sets at 6:30), watching a movie/TV shows on the computer, or going to use the Internet. And then pretty soon its time to wake up and start it all over again.

This has been my routine for the past week, but I'm sure once school starts and I get more acclimated to the country, things will change a little bit. Overall, the way of life in Cambodia is much simpler and slower than life in America, and so far I like it. Occasionally I will feel rushed in doing something or getting things done, but then I just remind myself that no one else is freaking out, and if I hurry and get it done, I won't have anything to do later. Slowing down is an adjustment, but its a good lesson to learn. It has given me time to really focus on what is important in life.

No comments: