Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cocktails

"Teacher Megan, I like to drink cocktails."

Now, I am in no way a newbie when it comes to dealing with absurd comments from five year olds. And now that I teach a room full of English Language Learners, the risk for adorable, hilarious comments greatly increases. But the above sentence is something I was not expecting.

The statement was uttered by a precious little Dutch boy who speaks English, a little French and Khmer (Cambodian). His father owns a beach hotel here in Sihanoukville and apparently my student has been frequenting the bar with the guests, maybe when Mom and Dad aren't looking. All jokes aside, I seriously doubt that he is actually drinking real cocktails. He assured me that there was no alcohol in them. But don't worry, he could still describe them to me in full detail (for a Kindergartener). He really likes the pink ones and the green ones.

He is quite the chatterbox, and usually tells me about many things, but usually his conversation pieces include legos and computer games. As inappropriate as it probably is, I actually enjoyed the fact that he is taking our conversations to a more "adult level." But if he all of a sudden learns the name of certain gentlemen such as Jack, Jim, and Jose, we may need to have a parent-teacher conference....

No comments: