Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Year, New Class, New Stories

So the first few days of the school year in Kindergarten are what I like to call the 2 Es. Exhausting and Entertaining. Here are a few highlights from the first couple of days with my new sources of material:

· My children lovingly refer to the classic character “Humpty Dumpty” as “Hunky Dunky.” I didn’t really catch it when we were reciting the nursery rhyme together, but became aware of this pronunciation problem when I asked what happened when Humpty Dumpty was sitting on the wall and got the response “Hunky Dunky had fell!”

· The first four or so days I wore my contacts (per usual) but on the fifth day I
switched it up and wore my glasses to school (not so much for fashion purposes but because I have been so EXHAUSTED that I haven’t been taking my contacts out before I go to bed. Sorry Dr. Brown). As with all kids who see an adult they are used to in glasses for the first time, they were a little taken aback and stared, but no one really said anything. UNTIL we were having our morning meeting. In the middle of the story, one of my girls raised her hand and said “I think you should take those glasses off now.” Great.

· In Kindergarten we learn to say the days of the week in order. We even have a little song that goes like this: “There’s Sunday and there’s Monday, there’s Tuesday and there’s Wednesday, etc.” One of my little boys hasn’t quite gotten the memo that we are singing the days of the week and he sings the song like this: “There’s Monday and there’s elephant, there’s Tuesday and there’s monkey…” It’s all I can do to not laugh at this while I’m teaching.

· I really have a sweet class this year. When I went to pick them up in the gym one morning, they all applauded when they saw me coming. I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before, not with little people or adults.

If the first seven days are any indication of how the rest of the year will go, I’m sure the hilarity will keep on coming.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Queenbof5 said...

I hope I get to meet your class this year. Have I told you lately how proud we are of you?

TeeRoom said...

You are the best. Next time you come home, I will applaud.

katie said...

Oh my gosh, Megan! Jessica and I were rolling at this post. The applause one had me in tears :) I will definitely be keeping up with this blog! Also, Jessica wants to steal your idea.