Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Musical Frame of Reference

I have found that the music my children fall asleep the best to is Christian/Praise and Worship music, so that is what I play. And it works out for me because usually by nap time I need a little encouragement. We have been listening to the same playlist for a while, but just the other day, one of my boys (who usually falls fast asleep) was awake and decided to give his opinion on the music. The song that was playing was a Jill Phillips song (If you have never heard Jill, here is her website. Check her out, she is amazing. Also, it will help you understand the story more.) So the song is playing and here was our conversation:

Him: Ms. Teegarden, this is Hannah Montana?

Me (holding in the laughter): No sweetie, it's not.

Him: Are you sure? I heard this song in her movie.

Me: Yes I'm sure, it's not her.

Him: It sounds like her. She can sing this song in her next movie?

Me: She just might.

As you probably know, Hannah Montana doesn't really fit into the acoustical singer/songwriter genre that Jill Phillips is classified as, so I found this hilarious that his only frame of reference for a female singer was Hannah Montana. Especially since he is my boy that usually gets in the most trouble for "boy things." like fighting, saying inappropriate things, etc.

As a side note, we had a Dance Party as a part of our May Day Field Day last Friday, and this child sang AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS when Hannah Montana came on, and he knew every single word of the song.

No comments: